Saturday, May 14, 2011

Leeks - Leek & Gruyere Toasts

As I was perusing the internet to find a recipe for leeks I visited one of my favorite blogs Smitten Kitchen and found that a recent recipe post included leeks!  I altered the recipe a little since I do NOT care for bleu cheese.  I decided to use Gruyere because I just happened to have some on hand from a french onion soup recipe I tried last weekend.

  • 1 1/2 pounds leeks (about 3 big leeks), cut lengthwise and white and pale green parts sliced 1/4-inch thick (about 3 generous cups of slices)
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for brushing toasts
  • Coarse salt
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • 6 medium-sized or 12 baguette-sized 1/2-inch slices of bread of your choice (we used a round italian loaf)
  • Gruyere cheese
Fill a large bowl with cold water. Cut leeks lengthwise then cut across to make half moons. Place cut leeks into water and swish around to loosen dirt.
Meanwhile, heat a large, heavy skillet over medium. Once hot, add butter and olive oil and once they’re fully melted and a bit sizzly, add the leek slices, still wet. Sprinkle with coarse salt to taste and a few grinds of black pepper. Reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and cook leeks for 25 minutes, stirring them occasionally. Adjust seasoning to taste.



While leeks cook, brush bread slices with olive oil and pepper.  Growing up we rarely had pepper on the table, but in the last several years I have really acquired a taste for freshly ground pepper. I have fallen in love with Multi-Colored Peppercorns which I sprinked into the oil before brushing on the bread. 

After brushing oil onto bread I placed shredded Gruyere onto the bread and placed bread slices under a broiler until the were slightly browned.  After leeks were done cooking I spooned the leek mixture on top of toasts and served warm.  Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment